Looking for something special to do next Friday?
CWILL BC is celebrating their 20th year, and is putting on a gala event to not only honour this impressive anniversary, but to raise money for BC Children’s Hospital at the same time.
The Walking Read event is open to all (who are of legal drinking age), and will be an evening full of food, fun, and live music.
Tickets are $60 (+ applicable taxes), and include:
- drink (including the alcoholic kind)
- live entertainment by Gale Force Blues Band, Nancy Newman Jazz Trio, and Xray Ted
- a silent auction
- PLUS all attendees will walk away at the end of the evening with a swag bag worth, I’m told, $40.
DRESS THE PART
The event is also costume gala (although if you’re shy, you could come as yourself!) – Attendees are encouraged to dress as their favourite literary character from a children’s book (could be YA too, if the Velveteen Rabbit just isn’t you….Nancy Drew, a Hardy Boy?)
If you come in costume, you’re eligible for a prize:
- Best Costume from a Children’s Book
- Best Costume from a Canadian Children’s Book
- Best Costume from a CWILL B.C. member’s Book (tip: find a list that includes a lot of CWILL BC member’s books here, or take a look through the bios of CWILL BC authors & illustrators)
SILENT and ONLINE AUCTION
Generous sponsors have donated a huge variety of very wonderful items for the silent auction – including bikes, designer clothing, JRR Tolkien collector’s editions books, hotel stays, scotch, original artwork, laptops etc, etc. (The whole list is here).
bonus: If you can’t make it out for the event, but are still interested in supporting the cause, CWILL BC has posted a small number of auction items on a limited-time online auction (ends at noon on June 13th): bike, books, bed & breakfasts packages, original kids’ book art etc…. (Highest bid between the online auction, and the silent auction at the event wins.)
There are no paid staff or event planners. All net proceeds will go to the BC Children’s Hospital foundation.